Adelberger Kornhaus

Where the City Library is now located, the Adelberg Monastery once had its city residence. For the first time in 1206, a courtyard is mentioned here in documents, which was located in Göppingen and was given to the Adelberg Pre-monstrat-ensian Abbey. The area around the Adelberg Pfleghof thus represents one of the early settlement cores in the old town area, which then merged into the city of Göppingen during the course of the 13th century.

From here, the Adelberg Monastery managed its properties in the surrounding area and stored grain, among other things. Hence the house, which still exists today, bears its name, namely Grain House. It was built in 1514 by the Adelberg Abbot Leonhard Dürr, who hailed from Zell under Aichelberg. On the gable side facing the street is the builder’s coat of arms along with a Latin inscription. It depicts a withered tree, an allusion to his name. The letters “A” and “L” stand for the Latin word “Abbas,” meaning Abbot, and “Leonhartus.”

The building is located on the eastern edge of the medieval and early modern old town within the city walls. Originally, the Adelberg property here consisted of several buildings and even a chapel. Only the current half-timbered building has survived.

The house, heavily damaged in the city fire of 1782, was restored using the remaining walls. Since 1981, the renovated half-timbered house has been home to the City Library. Established by Dr. Aron Tänzer in 1911, Tänzer was the rabbi of the Jewish community in Göppingen and had a diverse impact on culture and popular education in the city. A memorial plaque in the ground floor of the City Library still commemorates him today.